Friday, October 14, 2011

The Paradox of Choice

I realize that it may seem odd to talk about a book (especially one that has nothing to do with triathlon), but I think there are some applicable lessons here.



The Paradox of Choice:  Why More is Less by Barry Schwartz

I first heard about this book when I watched the related TED Talks video.  His general thesis is that more choices ultimately leave us less satisfied because we take on more burden in making a choice when there are so many options available.

He defines two types of people:  maximizers and satisficers.  Maximizers want "the best", whereas satisficers want "good enough."  It is important to note that satisficers can have high standards, but they still accept that there can be more than one correct choice.

Why do I bring this up, especially as my first post?  Because I am hoping this blog can provide some help to new triathletes as an example of what I do/own/eat/avoid, etc.  The choices involved in every single aspect of the sport are mind boggling.

Of course, you and I are not the same.  So I'll explain my reasoning in hopes that you can determine that a) this will work for you too, b) this won't work for you, or c) it might be worth trying.  I am by no means an expert, I'm just presenting myself as an example.

If you are a maximizer and you want to spend hours doing research on the internet about every individual detail, you've found the right sport.  Surf away.

So when making choices, I found it helps to consider the following:

1.  What do I consider "good enough"?  What is the intent for this choice?
2.  Are there other factors that will help minimize the number of choices?
3.  What is the "cost" of making a wrong choice?  If it is low, just pick something.

As the author points out, people are happier with their choices when they were constrained because then it wasn't their fault.  He uses the example of jeans; when there was only one kind of jeans, it wasn't your fault that they didn't fit perfectly because that's all they had.  Now, if you can't find perfect jeans, you'll always be thinking that there was a better choice available and you won't appreciate the great jeans you already own.

So put constraints on yourself and save your energy for training!

No comments:

Post a Comment