Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Working out in transit

For the past month or so, we've been nomadic. I choose to use that word since it has a better connotation than "homeless." But same thing -- living at hotels or crashing with family/friends. I miss the convenience of my bike trainer being available 24/7 or knowing where the good run routes are. But that isn't an excuse to not work out.

My bike is currently packed up and in transit with the rest of our stuff, but running and swimming are great options. Compared to cycling, the amount of equipment needed for these is minimal, which is great when you also have an airline weight restriction.

Swimming:
Sure, you need a pool. Usually hotel pools aren't meant for swimming laps. But Swimmers Guide is a great resource for finding local pools. And swimming wins in the "least packing space required" award.

Running:
Unless you're smack dab in the middle of an industrial area, running is probably your most reliable option. I was trying to come with a list of all the countries I've run in; I think I'm up to nine (US, Poland, UK, Estonia, Sweden, France, Austria, Germany, Ukraine.) I haven't been able to find a good program that will map all my GPS locations on a broad scale.

Here are some helpful tips I've discovered:
1. A GPS is a big help. Plan out your runs and load them so you know where you're going. (A handjammed map will get sweaty.) And please set your home location before you set out. I would still be stuck in rural France if I didn't do this.
2. People in some areas will look at you like you are crazy. Ignore them.
3. Running is a great way to get a "once over" orientation to an area. Then you can focus your touristy time better!

Crosstraining:
Maybe the weather is too cold/hot/wet for running. If your hotel has a fitness center, this might be the best choice. But beware, not all fitness centers are created the same. One hotel we stayed at recently had a 15 year old stairmaster and a recumbent bike with the resistance permanently set at the max. So I'd advise checking it out before assuming that you can do your workout there. Maybe you'll decide it isn't too cold/hot/wet outside.

Happy travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment