Thursday, April 11, 2013

Just keep swimming

When I go swimming with my tri club three times a week, I only have a loose understanding of what is actually going on. This is one of those cases where you just want to do what everyone else is doing. 

I'm reminded of a story that someone told of their experience living in Japan: This guy was really into judo (or karate, or something) and when he first got to Japan, he went to a big group session. After his collegiate training, he thought he was in pretty good shape, but this class lasted for hours. While he is barely hanging on, he was amazed how easy this was for everyone else. He kept going to class and after several months he was a lot fitter and his Japanese was much better. As he was complimenting some of the other students on their abilities, one of them said, "oh, you are very strong! You go for several hours each class and we only go for one."

I can totally empathize with that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment