Friday, June 7, 2013

A hodgepodge of thoughts in my head

Man, I have a ton of things to write down, so hopefully they will come out in a coherent manner. As my husband can attest, I sometimes make very large leaps in logic. So I'll at least label each section so you can read what you want. In no particular order...

1. Wiesbaden USO Triathlon 101 class. I am teaching a 5 part class about the basics of triathlon and I am pumped that people signed up! I can tell you from personal experience that trying to get started in this sport when you are completely isolated (either by distance, socially, or by language barrier) can be tough. Yes, there is lots of information on the internet. But figuring out how that information applies to you is sometimes very difficult. (I'll elaborate on this more in a second.) So my hope for offering this class is that people will learn basic information to either help them this season or motivate/guide them towards next season. The Wiesbaden 70.3 race is right around this area, and I met at least one person who signed up, "because it goes through my town." I can honestly say that the sport of triathlon has taught me, pushed me, and guided me in ways that I never thought possible. So I just want to give back.

2. Bike Fit. I know intellectually that a professional bike fit is a good idea -- you'll get better aerodynamics, better power transfer, avoid injuries, and be more comfortable. I had to wait a while to see Lloyd at Cyclefit.de because of his extremely busy schedule. So part of me was thinking, "do I really need to go see him? I'm riding comfortably and my position looks pretty good." Plus, I'm looking for ways to cut costs, so maybe this is one of those areas. Finally a time slot opened up and I drove the 45 minutes down to Bensheim.

It is rare that I can look back at something and say that it was absolutely the right decision. But after my first ride with my new fit, I can say that with no hesitation. The handling was so much better, it was like riding a completely different bike.

I had been very nervous about riding outside because of my bike handing skills. I had gone six months without riding outside as a result of healing from my crash, moving to Germany, and then winter. I had never ridden my QR CD 0.1 on the road before going to training camp and then didn't ride it outside again until the Mallorca 70.3. In that race I was swerving all over the road trying to simply reach for a water bottle. But I chalked all this up to my handing skills evaporating over the previous six months. So part of me realized that riding outside was the only way to improve, but another part of me was very hesitant given that I couldn't guarantee I wouldn't run into anything. Riding outside was a chore that I had to do.

But after this bike fit, it was a complete 180. Now that I'm more properly weighted on the bike, I no longer feel like Bambi on ice. I want to ride outside now. (For everyone thinking, "how could you not tell that the handling was off?" I will point out that this is only the second tri bike I have ever had.)

So, do you need a bike fit? Maybe! If you have bought a used bike or a new bike off the internet and have not had a knowledgeable person look at your form, I would highly recommend it. Please do not think it is only for racers or professionals. If you are putting in time in the saddle, whether that is for training or leisure, it will make a difference.

3. Coaching vs. Self Coaching. (Disclaimer: this is all my personal opinion...I do have a coach.) Throughout our lives, we have learned the basics from people more experienced than us. As children, our parents and teachers impart knowledge and values that we carry for the rest of our lives. If you played sports as a kid, you probably had your parent or a coach showing you the basics. This is where triathlon is tricky -- almost none of today's adult triathletes grew up doing triathlon. This is an adult-onset sport.

Here is where we come back to the idea of being an individual with the internet. Can you get a training plan to get you ready for X distance triathlon? Yes. I can see how people who are just beginning are tempted to use this option, as it is usually much cheaper, whether it is from a book or online. Can you find solutions to problems that you think you may have? Yes. So the tools are available. But the real challenge is knowing how/if/when to use these tools properly.

This would be a lot easier if everyone was exactly the same. But we aren't. So what works for me, might work for you, but it might not. Between strengths, weaknesses, schedules, finances, allergies, experience levels, and personal tastes, it is basically impossible to successfully create a "one size fits all" training plan. The variables are just too broad.

So, I am a bigger fan of finding a coach or a club with knowledgeable people. That being said, I am not in any hurry to get my coaching certification. Since I feel like I am still a relative newbie, I am satisfied with being a mentor to people just starting out.

4. Too Much Information. I myself have fallen victim to this; I am a naturally curious person and I like finding out about things I am interested in. I listen to several triathlon/running/cycling related podcasts, read the forums on Slowtwich, and subscribe to a bunch of RSS feeds about the sport. When we hear about a topic or problem multiple times, it can seem like it is happening to everyone. This is like watching the news -- if all they talk about is tragedy, it can seem like the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

This is where you need to have a filter. In the context of the news, you can look around you and say "huh, no one has been murdered in my neighborhood. I guess it really doesn't happen to everyone." But if you are an inexperienced triathlete, you have no context for a filter. This can be a problem because people like to complain about what went wrong. How are you to know that this won't happen to you?

I'll give an example from my own training and racing: race day fueling. There are many stories about gastrointestinal (GI) problems that people have encountered during their races. It isn't often someone even mentions if they didn't have any issues, because it should be the status quo. So in my information gathering, I came to the conclusion that success was not having GI problems. I have met my own definition of success, but that doesn't mean it was optimal. I was like a C student when it came to fueling -- I didn't bonk or have tummy problems, but I wasn't gaining all that was available. I only came to realize this after the Mallorca race. My coach had given me a carbohydrate target that was 1.5-2x what I had normally used. I could not believe how outstanding I felt after the race. Granted, some of this was a function of more training, but I know that they additional carbohydrates definitely helped.

So, the moral of the story? Take everything with a grain of salt. If you are worried, test it out in training. Just because something was a problem for a few people on the internet, doesn't mean it will necessarily apply to you.

Whew! That was a lot -- thanks for reading this far. Please let me know what you think in the comments section and good luck with your training!

No comments:

Post a Comment