Thursday, June 27, 2013

Isn't it supposed to be summer?

The weather here has been crazy, temperature-wise. When we returned to the Wiesbaden area after the Berlin race, it was ridiculously hot. And now is cold again. It was over 90 degrees a week ago, and yesterday it was 60.

The pool I swim at has a 50m pool that for most of the year is covered by a bubble. Around June 1st is the "tear down" date and last night was the first time I had been in the open air. Remember how I said the temperature was 60? It was a bit chilly.

Most of the other swimmers wore their wetsuits, but since I am trying to prepare for the icy water of the Norwegian fjord, I elected not to wear mine. I actually find cold water refreshing, so I didn't feel overly cold while doing the workout. However, when it came time to get out of the pool, I was having a hard time with basic coordination.

My toe is doing much better -- I am avoiding doing hard push offs after turns, as well as swimming with a pull buoy to prevent kicking. This means that I lose lots of time at the wall. Since my clubmates I swim with are already faster then me, plus they were wearing wetsuits, plus I was almost coming to a complete stop at the wall, there was no hope of keeping up with them. So I just focused on relaxing and my hand placement.

I'll swim without a wetsuit tonight, too, but I make sure to bring a sweatshirt to put on afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment