Monday, July 15, 2013

Rice bomb

It can get prohibitively expensive to eat all those gels during training. Plus, I tend to like real food better anyways. One of my favorite workout foods is the Rice Cakes from Alan Lim's Feedzone Cookbook.


The rice cakes are basically sticky rice, eggs, and bacon that you cut into squares and wrap in foil. Since we were leaving on vacation, I put the remaining two in the freezer and then defrosted them when we returned.

Something about freezing and defrosting must mess with the binding property of the rice, because when I opened the foil packet while riding down the road, the rice barely held together. So now I had bits of rice all over my bike, rice going down my windpipe, and not much food making it to my belly. Thank goodness I had two Larabars with me as well!

On a related note, I love this cookbook. I have probably cooked more meals out of this one than all my other cookbooks combined. They are healthy, fairly simple, and make big portions to fuel my training. This one is highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment