Sunday, October 30, 2011

Gear Rundown -- Transitions

This is going to be really short, mostly because I don't have a lot of stuff for transitions.

I put my bike in the rack by the back wheel or nose of the saddle.  I lay out my cheapie red small towel to the right of the front wheel.  My bike stuff (shoes, number belt) goes at the front edge.  My run stuff (shoes, maybe socks, hat, Garmin, maybe a gel) goes in the 2nd row.  Helmet and sunglasses go onto the aerobars.

All my stuff goes into my backpack I got from the Austria 70.3 race.  It has a bunch of pockets, but I make sure to load it so that I can unload it quickly.  All of the "probably won't need" stuff like bike tools, extra goggles, etc. goes in the nether-regions of the bag.  I even made up a written packing list with instructions of what goes in every pocket.  Military folks would call this a load plan.

I'll talk more about my checklist and timeline later when I talk about executing the transition.

Thanks for reading!

I would advise people against the following:

  • helium balloons
  • buckets of water
  • chairs
  • tying a bunch of ribbons to your transition bag

No comments:

Post a Comment