Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Springtime is here and my crazy idea for this summer

Two days ago, I returned from my three-week, multipurpose trip to the US. (I usually make it back about one a year since we moved to Germany three years ago.) It was a great chance to re-charge my batteries, soak in some sun, and put myself in a new mindset. Plus, I got to spend lots of time with these awesome people: the Timex Multisport Team!


One of the usual questions people ask is "so what races are you doing this year?" But due to my injury and the unknown of where we would be moving, I did not have an answer. The need to sign up for Ironmans a year ahead of time does not jive with the Army's policy of not telling you where in the world you are moving until about three months out. 

But, I knew that I had to come up with some kind of goal or event to work towards. I had to be able to do this on my own terms so I could remain flexible. I was inspired by an event that my husband's unit would be doing this summer - driving their vehicles from Germany to Estonia as part of a training exercise and public relations tour. 

So I thought it would be cool for me to independently ride my bike and wind up in the same place in the same timeframe. It works out to about 1900 kilometers or 1200 miles in two weeks.

(Not my exact route, but it gives you the idea)

I am going to do this self-supported, but I intend to stay in hotels. I have never done any kind of bicycle touring before, so this is going to be a major adventure. On the plus side, a major portion of the route is through a country where I speak the language (Poland), and this route will be mostly flat. 

I will take lots of photos, post my progress on Strava, and keep people updated. I am not sure of the vehicle for doing this, but I will pass it along. My tentative start date is June 1st. 

So stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Love to chat training about Norseman with you as I just registered for the Alaskaman X Tri...fire me an email if you are up for a gab! peisub@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete