Thursday, April 25, 2013

Great trail running!

With my coach's instructions of "as hilly as you can" for my long run, I looked on the map and headed to an area that looked like it would provide that opportunity.

The town of Konigstein is adorable with two old castles and a very quaint atmosphere. But what was really awesome was the extensive trail network up into the Taunus Mountains.

I had made a strip map beforehand, and the only place I really remembered was Grosser Feldberg. So when I saw trail signs pointing out that direction, I modified my route to go there. The whole run was just incredible -- fairly well maintained and very well marked trails and all in the forest. Turns out that Grosser Feldberger is a mountaintop with an antenna. I found out later that it is the highest point in the mountain range.

Since I didn't want to get too lost, I just went over the hill, down a bit, and turned around. Climbing back up the hill from the opposite side turned out to be the most difficult part. It reminded me of running up the ski hill at West Point.

So --  17 miles with 3000 ft of climbing. Mission accomplished, I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment